Friday, June 17, 2011

Coconut Pudding Roll

I had these rolls at Sara's house for James' 1st birthday dinner (so that tells you how long ago).  I HATE, HATE, HATE coconut so I didn't want to even try them.

But I did.

And I LOVED them.

And have been dreaming of them ever since.

We had friends over for a BBQ last weekend. Ken wanted to grill coconut shrimp, so I figured it was the perfect excuse to make these dreamy rolls.

I admit, Ken and I were both skeptical when I poured all of that liquid on the dough.  I didn't see how all of it could possible be absorbed and still have the dough cook.

No need to worry...they turned out SO DARN GOOD.  The recipe made 24 and between four adults and one Linus we were able to eat all but 3 (which I took for lunch the next day). 

Make these rolls today.  And thank me (and Sara) tomorrow.



Coconut Pudding Rolls

Ingredients
  • 1 package dry active yeast
  • 3 1/4 cups plus 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled, plus more for buttering bowl
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 can (13 1/2 oz.) coconut milk
Preparation
  • 1. Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter, salt, and egg until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour and knead into soft dough, adding up to 1/4 cup flour as needed. Put dough in a large buttered bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down and allow to double again, about 30 minutes.
  • 2. Whisk together coconut milk, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and 1 tbsp. flour until smooth. Set aside.
  • 3. Divide dough into 24 small balls. Put them in a 9- by 13-in. baking pan, cover, and allow to double, about 30 minutes.
  • 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Pour reserved coconut-milk mixture over raised rolls. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment